Notes on Political Venality, Pomposity and Associated Stupidity.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Santorum: It's All About the TV Ads

I don't have the exact wording in front of me, but Rick Santorum was recently quoted as saying something like this; "Wait 'til we put the TV spots up on the air. Then the voters will remember what I've done for them!"

Yea.

This is pathetic on a number of levels. If a two-term Senator hasn't done anything positive that the voters of PA can remember, then what the hell has he been doing? It's also pathetic because it shows just how much Santorum depends on the sleazy sleight of hand that all political commercials involve. He doesn't care so much about what's really happened, so long as his media hacks can craft a gauzy version of "The Real Rick."

I'm guessing, with his numbers still in the toilet, that Santorum will attempt to rejuvenate his old "fighter" moniker. I mean, what better to do when you're down in the polls but to rely on the underdog "Rocky" image? Much of his website and his direct email hints at this; (to paraphrase)

"The commie, stinkbag, limousine liberals are attacking po' me! They want, more than anything else to hurt me and my family. I am put-upon. I am cornered. But I'm fighting back!"

Yea. That something you learned working for the WWF?

So we will wait to find out what Rick has done for us when the first barrage of illuminating TV ads hit the air. I'm sure they will clarify what the junior Senator has been up to...down there in Virginia.