Notes on Political Venality, Pomposity and Associated Stupidity.

Friday, January 14, 2005

"Words Have Consequences"


Well, there you go. Bush proves, once and for all, that he has the emotional maturity and native intelligence of a six-grader. I imagine him standing in front of the class; head down and eyes averted, struggling to say,

"Sometimes, I guess, ya know, words have consequences, Mrs. Crabtree."

"Could you speak up, George? What did you say?"

"Words have consequences!"

"And are you going to apologize to the rest of the world for what you said?"

"Yea, well, maybe. I don't know. I sure didn't mean to say what I said."

"But you won't do it again, right George?"

"Listen, well, now, yea, I guess...but no one ever told me I couldn't say what I wanted to say...."

"Okay. Take you seat and we'll try to forget this ever happened."

Those famous Bon Mots of Bush, "Bring 'em on" and "dead or alive" were blurted out, not because Bush is just a simple, down-home kinda guy, but because, throughout his life, he never learned the simple, childhood lesson that "words have consequences." Never. As a coddled rich-boy, he got away with saying whatever he felt like. Apparently Bush Pere never slapped his face or washed his mouth out with soap. No sir. George Jr. said what he felt, did what he wanted to do - and nobody called him on it. This is truly pathetic. The President of the United States is SUPPOSED to be a man (or woman) who, at the very least, understands how to operate as an adult. How to temper their personal feelings. How to thoughtfully approach problems. How to show strength and moderation at the same time. Not George.

And once again, I have to question his grand group of camp followers. Don't parents out in Nebraska and Oklahoma and down in Florida keep their kids in line and teach them, at a very young age, that "words have consequences?" Sure they do. But...when the leader of their nation spouts off, they think it's just dandy. Go figure.

While I desperately want a Democrat in the White House in four years, what I really would like is an adult.